My bookmark service is Bash
I stopped bookmarking many years ago. Reasons were plenty and boring, so let's skip them. And although Pinboard is probably awesome, I tend to not use online services like it that much. I like control, I like it local, and offline and in plain text files – like the site you are looking at. I don't like having another account and depending on an external service which in al likelyness will have 100 features I don't need and will miss one or two features I deem criiitiiicaaaaal.
Since I recently find myself searching the browser history more often than I want, I thought I could as well keep a simple bookmark list here. I don't want to manage bookmarks, for now I just want to dump them.
So here is the rundown when I want to keep a site:
- Copy a Markdown version of the link with the help of the Markdown Link Generator
Cmd-Spaceto open Alfred
bis my shortcut to the bookmark workflow
Cmd-vthe the markdownified link and edit as needed
Returnthen runs the workflow which
Following below is the code I currently use.
A few notes on that:
- Yes, there are scripting languages which are probably suited much better for the job. But I recently decided to focus an Bash and JS/Node.
- God, it is an awful hacky script, so don't try it home. It doesn't do any kind of error checking, proper escaping or the like. It currently breaks when using any special characters.
- I am just happy it actually works. Yay!
- Thanks to the Alfred forum for helping out.